Monday, 8 September 2014

MATTY'S "KNOCK EM NAKED" BROWNIES





I've always stuck my nose up at boxed cake mixes. Why would you use a box when you can make fantastic bakes with all fresh ingredients? That was until I saw the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network make these fantastic brownies filled with chocolate chips, pecans and caramel. I thought I could defiantly make an exception for these bad boys and let me tell you; after my first bite I was instantly converted!


As mentioned this recipe belongs to the Pioneer Woman but I have made some adjustments to make the ingredients more accessible for the average shopper. For example I've used a tin of carnation ready made caramel for the filling and a box of Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake mix for the brownie element. While my adaptation still makes an amazingly guilty treat I'm sure her original recipe will be better so if you wish to check it out and see if you can source the ingredients then click the link here.

A cautionary point; please make sure you are patient and allow your brownies ample time to cool in the fridge before you slice them up. I know it's hard as I couldn't resist and cut too early causing the caramel in the centre on the cake to ooze out and cause the brownies to collapse. I still ate them and salvaged any pieces from the edges but if you want 100% brownie perfection then please please bide your time. It's so worth it I promise.

So here they are. Don't be a cake mix snob and give them a go. I promise you will not believe how good they are!

"Knock Em Naked" Brownies


120g Butter
500g Box Chocolate Cake Mix (The Best You Can Afford)
100g Finely Chopped Pecans
170g Tin Of Evaporated Milk
397g Tinned Caramel
100g Milk Chocolate Chips





  1. For this recipe, turn your oven onto 180 degrees (160 fan) and line a greased deep sided square baking tray with greaseproof paper 
  2. In a small pan on a low heat, melt the butter and pour it into a large bowl before adding in the cake mix, pecans and evaporated milk. Give everything a good old mix until well combined into a thick dough like mixture.
  3. Split the dough in half and press one half of the dough into the baking tray to form a compact even layer. Place in the ovenand bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for ten minutes.
  4. Once the base is cool, pour over the tinned caramel and sprinkle over the chocolate chips into an even layer.
  5. Take the second half of the dough, rip small pieces off at a time and use them the carefully cover the caramel layer until you can't see any. Be gentle; you don't want the caramel layer spilling out over the top. All the caramel should end up covered like a big chocolatly caramel sandwich.
  6. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the edges of the tray are starting to look crisp.
Take the brownies out of the oven and leave to cool for around half an hour. As mentioned in the introduction you must let the brownies cool completely to avoid a calamity so after the 30 minutes pop them into a fridge for at least two hours but preferably overnight. After a sleepless night thinking about how good your brownies are going to be you can finally cut into squares, eat, die and go to brownie heaven.

Its the best place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment