Sunday 9 August 2015

TIRAMISU TIME!



I'll be honest, I've never really been a fan of Tiramisu. I often found them to be soggy messes that are all mushy and nasty in your mouth. They are one of Jon's favourites though so I thought I bite the bullet and have a go at making my own and I have to say I have been converted. My version is like a delicious and moist tiered sponge cake with those beautiful booze and coffee soaked fingers layered with delicious marscapone and grated chocolate. Its the first time I've ever enjoyed a tiramisu so I think I must of done something right!


Tiramisu

3 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp Golden Caster Sugar
500g Marscapone
400m Cold Coffee
50ml Madeira Wine
500g Sponge Fingers
50g Slab Of Dark Chocolate




  1. Separate the yolks and whites of the eggs and place in two separate bowl. Add half of the sugar to the yolks and beat until doubled in sized, pale and looks a bit like runny custard. Add in the marscapone and stir until well combined. Leave to one side.
  2. Take the egg whites and whisk until stiff peaks have formed. Add in the remaining sugar and whisk for another minute or so until the sugar has dissolved. Fold the stiffened egg whites into the egg yolk and marscapone mixture until smooth and well combined. Leave to one side
  3. Take the coffee and wine and mix together in a bowl. Take your sponge fingers and the serving dish and dip the fingers in the boozy coffee mixture and then place them in a single layer in the base of the dish. Spread over a thin layer of the egg and marscapone mixture over the fingers and grate over a quarter of the chocolate.
  4. Repeat the dipping and layering until your tiramisu is assembled making sure you have a thicker layer of marscapone and chocolate on the top to finish off. Place the dish in the fridge to set until firm, approximately 4 hours or overnight if you wish.
Once set you can remove the Tiramisu from the the fridge and cut yourself a big massive slab of this delicious dessert ready to just stick your face into and devour. The beautifully smooth and rich marscapone filling laced with the tasty chocolate sits between the soft and moist layers of the boozy sponge fingers but shouldn't be a big soggy mess thanks to the time you have allowed for the tiramisu to set in the fridge. Its the perfect pud for getting ready at the start of the day so that you can just dish it up and serve at the end of a meal. If I can enjoy this homemade take on an Italian classic, your friends and family are going to love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment