Saturday 17 January 2015

CLASSICS REVISITED: PERFECT PEPPERY PICO DE GALLO



One of my early recipes was part of my Mexican trilogy, a delicious and fresh tomato and jalapeno salsa. It still holds it's own today and is much better than any shop bought version you could buy. Having educated myself over the last year of blogging and kitchen adventures I have learnt that the Mexicans would refer to this type of raw salsa as a "pico de gallo" and that there are many ways you can jazz up that basic pico base that made up my original recipe to give it an extra flavor punch. In my second revisited classic I have just done this that.


How have a made my pico up it's game, firstly by adding in some raw sweet peppers into the mix. I love raw peppers. The crunch that they give this pico really bumps up the texture and gives it an extra dimension that takes it up another notch. You can use normal peppers rather than the sweet ones (I know they can be expensive!) however I think the sweetness they bring really compliments the onions and lime juice. It might not be traditional but I like it.

Also, my research shows that one should be using fresh coriander rather than the parsley I used in my original recipe. I have to say that the fresh coriander really does work so well, hence why I'm assuming pico de gallo has become should a classic traditional Mexican dish however I know that the taste of coriander is despised by a lot of people. If your one of these people then stick to my original salsa recipe. 

Planning another Mexican night in?  Give my revamped recipe pico de gallo a go for the most perfect side dish for a fiesta feast!

Peppery Pico De Gallo


1 Peeled Red Onion
3 Small Sweet Peppers
2 Jalapeños 
Handfull Fresh Coriander
6 Salad Tomatoes
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt And Pepper To Season
Juice Of Two Limes



  1. Chopped your onion, peppers and jalapeños into same sized small squares and throw into a mixing bowl. Add the seeds of the jalapeños as well if you want a more spicy kick to your pico.
  2. Chop up the Corriander leaves into small bits, add to the bowl and mix.
  3. Cut your tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds. Discard the soggy centres and chopped the tomato flesh into same sized squares as before. Add to the bowl and mix.
  4. Add in the olive oil, a crack of salt and pepper and the juice of one of the limes. Give the bowl another mix and taste. If you think it needs it add in the juice of the second lime or some more salt and pepper and mix again.

It's as simple as that. Cover the bowl in film and leave the pico to marinade in that limey goodness for half and hour in the fridge to let those fresh flavors really meld together. It doesn't keep well mind so always store in the fridge but discard after two days.

Serve as a side to some quality quesadillas or spoon it into a tortilla wrap as a fabulously fresh relish, it's so much better than any shop bought Mexican salsa you will find. I'd pick this pico over any of those every time!


No comments:

Post a Comment