Tuesday 3 June 2014

"MATTY PROOF" CARROT AND CHICKPEA BURGERS



I have always had a hard time if any kind of veggie "patty". I don't just mean burgers either. Falafel are not my friend and neither is the onion bhaji. When it gets to the frying stage they just simple disintegrate into a burnt mushy mess no matter how rigidly I stick to the recipe.

That was until I discovered these little beauties. Using mainly grated carrots and a chickpeas, they not only managed to retain their shape under the grill but they also tasted scrummy and fresh, very much like a giant falafel just in a burger shape. When I posted them on Twitter a while back a lot of people complimented me on how delicious they looked and if they could get the recipe. I completely forgot all about them until I was going though my camera pictures today and came across the pictures. 

So better later than never here is the recipe for these "Matty Proof" burgers. Give them a go today.


Carrot And Chickpea Burgers 

1kg Peeled and Grated Carrots
1 Diced Medium Red Onion
2 Grated Cloves Of Garlic
500g Chickpeas
4 Tbsp Dried Coriander Leaf
1 Large Egg
3 Tbsp Plain Flour
Salt And Pepper To Season




  1. Put 250g of the grated carrot, onion, garlic, chickpeas, coriander, egg and season in a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Use a hand blender to blend everything into a paste. Leave to one side.
  2. In a pan on a medium heat, fry the rest of the carrots for 10 minutes. Fold these fried carrots through the paste mixture along with the flour until everything is well combined. The mixture should still be slightly wet but not sloppy.
  3. Divide the mixture into 10 round patties and arrange on a foiled baking tray. Using wet hands will allow you to mould them easily. Flatten each patty with slightly so that each patty is of the same level of thickness though out. This will ensure the patties cook evenly under the grill.
  4. Cover the tray with cling film and chill in the fridge for around 30 minutes to allow them to firm up.
  5. Once chilled, turn up your grill to a medium heat. Spray the patties with some oil and place under the grill until golden brown. Flip the patties over, spray with oil and grill this side again until golden and crisp.
Perfect served on a lightly toasted Ted's Roll with a dollop of mayonnaise or a flavoured humus of your choice. For tastier burgers I would used dried chickpeas that have been soaked over night before boiling up for an hour. They give the burgers a more "meatier" taste compared to tinned chickpeas although they will work just as well. Just make sure they are well drained otherwise the excess liquid will cause the patties to fall apart and you don't want your hard work to go to waste.


I'm sorry I don't have more pictures of them but they were made pre-blog but trust me when I tell you they were the easiest and most tastiest homemade veggie burgers I've ever made. If your fed up of shop bought veggie burgers give them a go today.

If I can make them, then anyone can!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment