Tuesday 24 June 2014

MATTYB'S CHARITY BIKING ADVENTURE



Hello you fantastic people who read my blog. I thought I would take a day away from sharing my kitchen adventures with you and talk about a different kind of adventure I went on this weekend. I took part in a 25mile bike ride from Chester to Liverpool with some of my amazing colleagues from work in order to raise money for the Candice Colley Foundation. I hope my story will make you dig deep and donate to this fantastic charity!

My partner is undergoing treatment for Lymphoma at the Royal Liverpool Hospital and was admitted during Christmas 2013. The Candice Colley Foundation surprised us with a gift of an Asda voucher and a beautiful card to help alleviate the stress and upset of being admitted over Christmas. It really touched us and we can never thank them enough for their kindness and generosity during this really difficult time.

The Candice Colley foundation was set up in honour of 23 year old Candice Colley who lost her 4 year battle with ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia) in December 2010.

Candice was determined that when she was better she wanted to raise money to help patients and their families with some of the unexpected minor financial outgoings, which quickly mount and cause unnecessary worry. She wanted to ‘make life a little easier’ for people going through similar illness’ and treatment. Unfortunately, although she had a successful Bone Marrow Transplant, Candice was very weakened by the treatment and eventually couldn’t fight off a lung infection, so she never got to do the fund raising she wanted to do.

Candice’s family and friends are determined to fulfil her dream of helping other people in similar situations, hence The Candice Colley Foundation was launched.

When we heard about this charity bike ride I wanted to take part in order to give something back to the foundation that help support me during this difficult time.

I asked at my work, if anyone wanted to take part with me and I recruited a team of 7 to take part in the ride all with the aim to raise as much money as possible for this charity that is close to my heart, this included our GM, Head Chef, Maintenance Manager and team members friends and family. They all offered their time and effort to complete this ride all in order to help raise as much money as possible.
 


So last Sunday we made our way to the Countess of Chester Health Park to begin our ride. Setting off at 9am we begin our ride through the beautiful Chester countryside. It was such a fabulous sunny day that it was a joy to ride around whilst taking in the beautiful scenery. There was even time to stop off at the Wirral Rugby Club for a cake and tea (you know I could never turn that down!).



After a final sprint through the Mersey Tunnel, we finished the 25m miles in just over two hours. The picture to the right was taken at the end of the ride. Still standing and still smiling even though I know there were a few jelly legs and sore bums.

For me, to be able to achieve something like this is something I thought I would never be able too do but ever since I lost that 3st and my confidence has grown I'm really proud to be able to say that I have done it and I thank Matt,Gareth,Kunj,Lynsey,Ste and Liam who all rode on the day as well. They really went out of there way to support the charity too and I'm sincerely grateful to them all

Most of all I think all the wonderful friends and family who have supported us and the charity with all their kind donations. At the time of writing we have raised £590 but I would really love to raise the £1000 initial for the foundation and we have until September 2014 when our Just Giving Page closes.

If you have been inspired by Candice's story and our adventure then please take the time to visit our just giving page here:

 
Please donate anything that you can and I can tell you from personal experience that you will be making the lives of people going through very difficult times just that little bit easier!
 
You can Find out more about Candice and the work of the Candice Colley Foundation by clicking this link


Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment