Thursday 29 December 2016

MATTY'S BEST CHEESY TOAST



So Christmas is over for another year. Hasn't it just flown by? Did you have a nice time over the festive holidays? I did but once again I've eaten far too much. After all those sweets, chocolate and the massive mountains of cheese, ham and turkey you would think there wouldn't be any room left for anything else but come lunchtime today I had a right craving for some proper lush cheese on toast. What happened next? Well it just so happened that I made the best cheese on toast ever, so good in fact that I knew I had to share the recipe with you as soon as I could. Well, Christmas is all about giving isn't it! 

 When it comes to the best cheese on toast ever then you have to use the best ingredients available to you. So when I say toast, what I mean is slices of crusty bloomer like you would get at the supermarket bakery counter rather than at the bread aisle, popped under the grill until deliciously golden brown. You can of course used slices of white bread however a crusty loaf (I think!) doesn't get as soggy as a slice of white bread and with a bloomer you also get nice little oval shaped slices which are perfect for just picking up with your hands and noshing on.

As for the onion chutney in this recipe, why I've used my own of course. For me it's the best onion chutney in town and you can check out the recipe by clicking here! Of course, shop bought versions are available along with maybe your own homemade creations. Use the best onion chutney you can get your hands on. Same with the cheese! For me the only cheese worth melting on a piece of toast is a cheddar. It melts easily, it's nice and sharp and is most affordable. Of course you can use a fancier cheese if there is something you prefer on your toast but remember that if you use a flavored cheese like a chili or garlic variety that you may wish to leave out the mustard and Worcestershire sauce in the recipe below as it may not compliment the flavor of your cheese.

I suggest that you at least try out my recipe below at least once just to see if you like it first though. For me, cheese on toast doesn't get better than this! I've based the quantities based on slices of bloomer bread roughly 5 inches by 1 inch in area. If your slices of bread are bigger than this, you may wish to scale up the quantities accordingly;

Cheese And Onion Chutney Toast


6 Slices Crusty Bloomer
1 Heaped Tbsp Soft Butter
1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce 
1 Tsp English Mustard Powder 
150g Grated Cheddar Cheese
Salt And Pepper To Season


  1. Turn up your grill to a medium/high heat and place your 6 slices of bloomer bread on a baking tray. Once the grill is hot, put the bread under the grill and grill both sides until slightly toasted. Remove the bread from the grill.
  2. Mix together the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and cheese in a bowl seasoning with the salt and pepper until well combined. Spread the onion chutney across all the slices of toasted bloomer and then spread the cheese mixture on top of the chutney.
  3. Place the cheese covered bread back under the grill until the cheese has melted and is bubbling away nicely. 

You can now remove the bread from the grill and get ready to tuck in although word of caution, wait for a minute or so before you wrap your chops around the cheesy toast as it will be super super hot and you don't want to burn yourself after all that effort now do you? The combination of that delicious sweet caramelized onion chutney with the warm rustic flavors of the mustard and Worcestershire sauce all working together with the sharp cheddar is like pure heaven on a piece of bread. Look up comfort food in the dictionary and you will a picture of my perfect cheesy toast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment